RUSSIA – Work Permit Quota and Quota Exemptions Announced – Apostilled Marriage and Birth Certificates Required for Dependents of Highly Skilled Workers
The Federal Labour Service has approved work permit quotas for 2012 and has announced details of the allocation of the quotas between Russia’s different regions and companies within those regions. Additionally, the decree on quota exempt positions for 2012 has been approved. Separately, the Federal Migration Service (FMS) now requires Apostilled birth and marriage certificates for applications for visa invitation letters for dependents of highly skilled workers.
Work Permit Quotas for 2012
Russia operates a work permit quota system. Every year the Federal Labour Service approves a total number of slots for the year, based on the quota applications made by employers throughout the country. This total number is subdivided by region and then by company within each region. The quota allocations for 2012 have been made. Companies should have been notified, but if not, full details can be found on the official website of the Federal Labour Service here.
Additional Quota Places
For companies which failed to apply for the necessary amount of quota places for 2012, or which did not receive the approvals they require, it is also now possible to submit quota correction applications for 2012 to the Labour Exchange Centre.
Quota Exempt Positions
Certain positions are exempt from the quota, as listed below. Note also that work permits for Highly Skilled Workers (who must, as well as meeting other criteria, be paid at least 2 million rubles per year in Russia) are quota exempt.
- Circus performer (Артист цирка)
- General director of a joint stock company (Генеральный директор акционерного общества)
- General director of a joint enterprise (Генеральный директор объединения)
- General director of an enterprise (Генеральный директор предприятия)
- General director of general directorship (Генеральный директор генеральной дирекции)
- General director of an inter-industry scientific venture (Генеральный директор межотраслевого научно-технического комплекса)
- General director of a production facility (Генеральный директор производственного объединения)
- Senior principal engineer of a project (Главный инженер проекта)
- Senior principal engineer (in industry) (Главный инженер (в промышленности)
- Director of department (Директор департамента)
- Director (head) of a branch office (Директор (заведующий) филиала)
- Director of a plant (Директор завода)
- Director of economic affairs (Директор по экономике)
- Head of a Representative office (Директор представительства)
- Director of a factory (Директор фабрики)
- Director (head, representative) of directorship (Директор (начальник, уполномоченный) дирекции)
- Director (head, executive) of an enterprise (Директор (начальник, управляющий) предприятия)
- Director of a firm (Директор фирмы)
- Director of a joint stock company (Директор акционерного общества)
- Director of a joint enterprise (Директор объединения)
- Deputy Chairman of the Board (Заместитель председателя правления)
- Sound engineer (Звукооператор)
- IT security engineer (Инженер по защите информации)
- Engineer of automation and mechanization of production procedures (Инженер по автоматизации и механизации производственных процессов)
- Industrial engineer (Инженер-технолог)
- Engineer for production control system (Инженер по автоматизированным системам управления производством)
- Engineer for automatic process control system (Инженер по автоматизированным системам управления технологическими процессами)
- Engineer for realization of new technology (Инженер по внедрению новой техники и технологии)
- Quality engineer (Инженер по качеству)
- Setting and testing engineer (Инженер по наладке и испытаниям)
- Engineer for production management and control (Инженер по организации управления производством)
- Pre-production engineer (Инженер по подготовке производства)
- Engineer-welder (Инженер по сварке)
- Design-engineer (Инженер-проектировщик)
- Electrical engineer (Инженер-электрик)
- Ringmaster (Инспектор манежа (ведущий программы))
- President of a consortium (consolidated group, corporation, etc) (socio-economic entity) (Президент ассоциации (концерна, корпорации и др.) (общественно-экономической организации))
- Chairman of the Board (Председатель правления)
- Drilling technician (Техник по бурению)
- Setting and testing technician (Техник по наладке и испытаниям)
- Technician (Техник-технолог)
Quota Applications for 2013
Applications for quota allocations for 2013 must be made by 1 May 2012. Employers in Russia should begin to prepare their applications. Contact us, or VISTA directly, for assistance.
Apostilled Birth and Marriage Certificates for Highly Skilled Worker Dependents
Separately, the Federal Migration Service has now started to require apostilled or legalised birth and marriage certificates in support of applications for visa invitation letters for dependents of Highly Skilled Workers. Previously, birth and marriage certificates were typically only requested when the dependent’s family name differed from that of the main applicant.
The Apostille or legalisation processing time will vary depending on the country of issuance of the birth or marriage certificate, so this should be looked into at the start of the immigration process, and sufficient lead time allowed for.
- Note that quota allocations have been issued, and that if companies have not received sufficient allocations, correction applications may now be made
- Note the list of quota exempt positions, which is different from the list of 2011
- Prepare quota applications for 2013
- Note the requirement for apostilled or legalised birth and marriage certificates for dependents of Highly Skilled Workers and plan accordingly.